Thursday, August 2, 2012

The First Night... And Second...And New Name


 
Bonaparte, better known as Boney
The first night I slept in our guest bedroom starting with Little Bit in his bed right next to mine. That lasted oh about five minutes. He knew exactly where I was and so his not being there was unacceptable. Needless, I know, to say, he slept with me. I did manage to sleep some but was so concerned about waking him up if I moved that I woke up repeatedly. He, on the other paw, slept like a log. So tuckered out from his first day away from his family he had no strength against sleep, now that he was in the bed with me.
He had traveled very well on the long drive from Atlanta down to the Florida/Georgia border, in my lap or on the seat beside me all the way. No accidents, no whining, only shaking like a little leaf in a storm. I could tell when I looked into his little black eyes that he didn’t trust me yet and felt lost. By the time we arrived at our destination he was curious but didn’t want me out of his sight. By the time my husband came home a few hours later, Little Bit fell asleep in his lap within seconds. One of our best friends, who is “parent” to two schnauzers, came over to meet Little Bit and pronounced him cute as a button; funky looking but cute!
So passed the first day and night. Yesterday was wonderful. He likes me now. He trusts me a little. He is eating and, peeing and pooing on his pads like a pro! Knock on wood no accidents yet. I know they are coming, but for now he’s doing great. He doesn’t seem to like to “go” outside yet, but we are working on that.
While I work he plays in my office. I’ve had to get all paper products out of his reach, which is sad for me as I use parts of my floor as shelving space (I’m not joking. I need more real shelves.). He plays then lays down in his little bed beside me and sleeps. He seems happy. Last evening while we watched “Cheers” and ate our dinner Little Bit played and romped until he grew tired. We first tried him resting on my husband’s lap, but Little Bit had a different idea. He wanted my lap. So he got it.
Last night we tried him sleeping in our bedroom, not the guest room. He made it until four this morning, in bed with us of course. When he wouldn’t settle, I moved us back to the guest room so at least my husband could sleep. While he was finally settling down his true name came to me. He isn’t an Elvis (my husband’s comment was, “Hey, who wouldn’t want to spend a day with Elvis?”) Guess you can tell he’s a fan. But he’s also a fan of the person and name that came to me in the dead of night after dealing with a stubborn, needy (but adorable) puppy. Bonaparte. Yes, this is the name that will last until his dying day. Boney for short, but Bonaparte it is. My husband loves it and so do I because not only is it the name of one of my husband’s favorite historical figures, it is also the name of one of my favorite detectives, Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte of the “Bony Series” as they are referred to. It’s a series by Arthur W. Upfield set in Australia and written in the 1930’s, 40’s and 50’s, with a “half caste abo/white detective who is simply amazing.  He would have to be with that name! So from here on out, our pup will be referred to as Boney or Bonaparte. He seems to agree as well that it’s a great name for a little guy. (wink wink!)

Info and photos from these sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message so we know you visited and if you have a blog let us know!