Tuesday, August 7, 2012

And They Called it Puppy Love…


Because I am in  LOVE with this puppy, who, by the way is on his fourth name. Well, it’s not really so much a name change as using a first name instead of a last. Napoleon is coming much easier to the lip than Bonaparte. And “Napi” or “Napo” are the two we’ve been using for shorts. So, maybe he has a real name now.
Took Napo to the vet a few days ago because he was itching so much and there were no fleas to be found, for which I am very thankful! In this heat fleas would be a total disaster. Little Bit got a clean bill of health and I got lots of information about what I can do and what I shouldn't do with him. Granted, my vet, who also has a dachshund, said that she was “one to talk” when she didn’t pay any attention to the advice she was given in taking care and training her own! But I am doing my best to pay attention not only to her advice, but also the advice my friends (from whom we got Napo) gave me as well. Nancy gave me two sheets of instructions about house breaking and crate training, both of which I am doing my best to implement. They seem very common sense-icle (There’s a Joss Whedon “Buffy-ism” for you!) and we're having varying degrees of success. He’s already well on in the house breaking category, and uses his ‘pads’ more often than not. But he still slips up, even though I’m getting better at getting him outside after he eats. So far his hardheadedness is showing when it comes to going outside. He’ll pee but the pooing not so much. I feel like I’m re-inventing the wheel!
On Laydi's bed, our previous lab/border collie. Napo is so tiny!
We’ve had a bit of a rough patch, but Napo finally slept most of the night in his crate last night! This was after two distressing nights of him howling, pooing and peeing in his crate. Yesterday he slept ALL morning long and didn’t eat anything to speak of. He was so stressed out! 
Of course we put the crate in our room last night and maybe that made a difference. We shall see if he does a repeat performance tonight. It was wonderful to have him sleep and not be miserable all night, us too!
Today he’s actually eaten well and played and slept and acted like a normal unstressed puppy. He follows me almost everywhere I go, except when he wants to play coquettish and won’t come when I want him to! We’ll be working on that as soon too. Okay, I’m off to take Napo out. Have a good one…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message so we know you visited and if you have a blog let us know!